How fast fashion adds to the world's clothing waste problem (Marketplace)

How fast fashion adds to the world's clothing waste problem (Marketplace)

Fast fashion is a major contributor to the world’s clothing waste problem. Many of us give our old clothes to charity or drop them in a store take-back bin, but you might be surprised to learn most of it is sold and can end up in the landfill.

To read more: http://cbc.ca/1.4493490

»»» Subscribe to CBC News to watch more videos: http://bit.ly/1RreYWS

Connect with CBC News Online:

For breaking news, video, audio and in-depth coverage: http://bit.ly/1Z0m6iX
Find CBC News on Facebook: http://bit.ly/1WjG36m
Follow CBC News on Twitter: http://bit.ly/1sA5P9H
For breaking news on Twitter: http://bit.ly/1WjDyks
Follow CBC News on Instagram: http://bit.ly/1Z0iE7O

Download the CBC News app for iOS: http://apple.co/25mpsUz
Download the CBC News app for Android: http://bit.ly/1XxuozZ

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»
For more than 75 years, CBC News has been the source Canadians turn to, to keep them informed about their communities, their country and their world. Through regional and national programming on multiple platforms, including CBC Television, CBC News Network, CBC Radio, CBCNews.ca, mobile and on-demand, CBC News and its internationally recognized team of award-winning journalists deliver the breaking stories, the issues, the analyses and the personalities that matter to Canadians.

1. Abigail Luther on April 23, 2019 at 10:07 pm

This was more or less a direct result of the recession. While I think it gave rise to "thrifting" and "secondhand" shops becoming cool again, it also definitely brought fast fashion, Forever 21 garbage to the forefront.

2. Rosemary Bloom on April 23, 2019 at 10:07 pm

1. Buy clothes that are not blended with other fibers.
    2. Buy clothes made from natural fibers: wool, cotton, cashmere, linen… Their good for your skin and they are biodegradable.
    3. Buy second hand quality clothes on eBay, Postmark…
    4. Sell the clothes you no longer want online on eBay, Postmark, Tradesy…
    5. Don’t follow trends. Instead develop your own style based on a firm foundation of classic pieces.
    These principle have changed my life for the better. 😊

3. L on April 23, 2019 at 10:07 pm

Mass production of clothes is not fashion

4. Emily Phillips on April 23, 2019 at 10:08 pm

Marketing genius- sell clothing, have clothing returned, re use clothing in a different form, re sell clothing – make more money on top of money they already made- all in the name of "recycling". Yes it just happens to be good for the environment too.

5. Phlegethon on April 23, 2019 at 10:09 pm

Sounds like everybody wins

6. Thúy Aiko on April 23, 2019 at 10:10 pm

I have a pair of socks from Walmart since the 6th grade and it’s still my favorite. Bill Gates shops at Walmart for a reason yall.

7. ASMR Stuart J.1.2 Beverly8 on April 23, 2019 at 10:12 pm

Are you still doing videos like this thank you for the video appreciate it

8. Lauren Hamill on April 23, 2019 at 10:13 pm

This makes me wish I didn’t donate any of my clothing recently. >.<

9. SHRUTIKA DHURI on April 23, 2019 at 10:13 pm

@sejalkumar

10. LookingToChangeTheWorld on April 23, 2019 at 10:13 pm

20:28 she didn’t give a thorough answer to what I should do with my clothes if they aren’t in great condition. What should I do with textiles that are no longer wearable due to large holes, etc? I consign, or donate to Goodwill all of my clothes that are in good condition, but there are some things that just can’t be worn anymore. What should I be doing with those clothes? Those are the ones I take to H&M because I’m not sure what else to do with them.

11. Finding God on April 23, 2019 at 10:14 pm

More sad are the conditions the workers have to work in, and how many lives lost for the sake of profits for companies.

12. Ursula Smith on April 23, 2019 at 10:15 pm

It’s a shame!

13. Jenny Ann on April 23, 2019 at 10:16 pm

Nowadays I love to buy second hand clothes 🤗🤔 got unique.

14. Jay Jay ingocnito on April 23, 2019 at 10:16 pm

So poor people who might need this clothes dont want it – so do they then really need it to start with.

15. CBC News on April 23, 2019 at 10:20 pm

Check the marketplace website for more tips on what do with your old clothes here:
    http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/blog/want-help-on-what-to-do-with-your-old-clothes ^nr

16. NitishL Vlogs on April 23, 2019 at 10:20 pm

@cbcnews But buying less also doesn’t reduce the production level quickly enough. And what is produced is bound to thrown away. How to make production level decrease?

17. Danial Kurashi on April 23, 2019 at 10:21 pm

Buy and throw, That’s how consumers are wired. All ends up in dump or third world countries. Its all about green.

18. typhoons.earthquakes.tsunamis.are. KARMA on April 23, 2019 at 10:23 pm

Not only people wasted money, but they wasted food, wasted water, wasted electricity, now they waste clothing. Take them to thrift stores or second hand stores or non profit charity to help those one in need.

19. PlantingWithJessica on April 23, 2019 at 10:23 pm

This pisses me off WHY THE FUCK is goodwill selling their shirts for $5 and dresses for $10 if they have so much extra!? People who are less fortunate like me still cant afford clothes at those prices. This is the first time I’ve heard about this problem with fast fashion and shits making sense now. Seriously wtf

20. محمد احتشام الدین خان on April 23, 2019 at 10:24 pm

We are overconsuming

21. Crazy Driver on April 23, 2019 at 10:26 pm

Underwear uhh..uhh.

22. kharisma citra on April 23, 2019 at 10:26 pm

Thank god i live in a 2 seasons country

23. Gorigori Yasno on April 23, 2019 at 10:27 pm

Synthetic fabrics cause health problems and people simply have no idea that very aggressive micro fauna attacks such fabrics trying to destroy it and affects the health of the wearer. I ALWAYS make a big effort to buy strictly natural fabrics like pure wool, cotton, linen, silk, cashmere, etc.

24. jem blallow on April 23, 2019 at 10:27 pm

I need those cloths to diy. Also people need cloths even if it’s fast clothing there are 7+billion people. Believe me there is a solution. Rich companies just lie

25. Michelle Williams on April 23, 2019 at 10:29 pm

I’m not overly religious, but isn’t their a passage in the Bible that mentions not blending different fabrics? Maybe the ultimate reason is because it becomes more difficult to recycle, just a thought 🤷🏿‍♀️

26. denpa kyoshi on April 23, 2019 at 10:30 pm

the saying goes: REFUSE, REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE. recycling is the last approach and should be the last approach.

27. slave No. 4028 on April 23, 2019 at 10:30 pm

the moderators voice arghghgddgdh…i just cant listen to it. no shade, its not her fault but that voice it like.. a sharp knife in my brain

28. Megan Fisher on April 23, 2019 at 10:32 pm

Watch the documentary on Netflix called "The True Cost" because this is just the tip of the iceberg of fast fashion. After watching that has made me go from buying new clothes every month to buying clothes once every 6 months and buying only what I need and what I will wear. This has made more room for buying experiences like paying for dinners with my family and being able to shout dinner rather then my dad paying for dinner all the time. I do believe that fast fashion is a major problem and I will buy clothes I will wear more then once and if I want to go out of my comfort zone I will buy it second hand rather then buy it brand new and then realise I don’t want it. I donate all my clothes that I do not need or I will go up on FaceBook and put it up for free. I hate how expensive clothes can be and I want to give to people who need it more than me.
    Edit 1: Holy s**t 14 years for 48 hours of sales f**king hell. This is only 1 company.
    Edit 2: I have bought from H&M and honestly its pretty good quality but its not the best. I rarely buy from them because they are a pain in my back side to get a hold of and I like getting my clothes from places that are better quality and I have a student discount from them which saves me money.
    Edit 3: What brands should be doing is releasing items in staple colours and then offering up a select amount of colours rather then put out colours that people do not gravitate towards.

29. Mikel on April 23, 2019 at 10:32 pm

I want the pink kids jacket

30. Scorched Earth on April 23, 2019 at 10:34 pm

I don’t buy 70 items of clothes a year,I already have clothes, why would I need more? I’m not running around naked.

31. 김포포 on April 23, 2019 at 10:35 pm

This makes me reflect on myself……..

32. Rey Formento on April 23, 2019 at 10:39 pm

I will take your used panties.

33. chiyerano on April 23, 2019 at 10:39 pm

This is why I try to focus on buying a few good quality versatile basics as opposed to a lot of clothes. You save money and still look good while making less waste.

34. Sav-Chan on April 23, 2019 at 10:39 pm

I never understood why people literally THROW AWAY clothes. Donate, recycle, reuse, sell. Take an old t-shirt to make a pillow case, baby onsie, quilt piece, doll clothes, etc. Seriously you can recreate your old fibers into something new in your own home.

35. mark hull on April 23, 2019 at 10:40 pm

Old clothes are usefull to me as rags for use in maintenance of my car. They also are bailed up and sold for use as rags by the navy and other places that need to wipe machinery, and oil. A bail of rags in the navy supply system costs about 96 dollars. They have a value.

36. Jeanne Lyn Montero on April 23, 2019 at 10:40 pm

I hate throwing clothes and shopping for new clothes unless I really need it….I still wear clothes that have lots of holes on them lol…I wear them under my sweater as long as it’s still wearable it’s ok for me 👍🏼

37. Something Original And Funny on April 23, 2019 at 10:41 pm

/! Read this to make your school more eco friendly /!
    Please make your school organise a clothes trade. In my school we cleared a spot in the hall for people to drop their old clothes and pick ‘new’ ones. Then at the end of the week (we did this for climate week) we donated the leftover clothes to homeless shelters.
    The clothe industry is the 2nd most polluting industry in the world and second hand and trade are an important solution. Please try to do this in your school by proposing it to your environmental club, your students’ house or even asking your principal.
    In my school, and especially in my section, we have a lot of ecologists and activists and we are therefore pretty aware of the issues with our environment. We organise a lot of things (#1pieceofrubbish, #FrydaysforFuture,park cleaning, trash art, gardening sessions, conferences and debates maybe a future school compost…) and still have a lot planned.
    Please if you have any other ideas of things we could do in that school club post them under this comment.

38. Jackie Albert on April 23, 2019 at 10:42 pm

Why not sort out what that’s really not good burn it and give the good ones to clarity how much clothing do one needs some times you never get to wear most of it because you get up on a morning you get ready for work for some of us 6 days a week it could be 7_4 or 8_5 we barley have time to go out but yet still we kept buying we need to help the less fortunate more that is my passion

39. Svetla Nikolova on April 23, 2019 at 10:46 pm

So people just burn the crap

40. Dreamer Vlogz on April 23, 2019 at 10:48 pm

This is the reason I thrift shop ONLY. I hope people change soon and go zero waste and start thrift shopping only.

41. Angela Reuss on April 23, 2019 at 10:48 pm

The second hand places who can’t sell certain clothes can hang the stuff on a rack, and put a sign that says FREE on it…. That way, people who really need it, will get it…. and those people will likely use the crap out of it…. Not rocket science!!

42. Chloe' Dodson on April 23, 2019 at 10:48 pm

Give more attention to new upcoming sustainable fashion brands!

43. bella chia on April 23, 2019 at 10:48 pm

When my son and nephews were smaller I gave them my "hand-down" clothes. Now that they’re all older and bigger they give me their clothes. The only new clothing I purchase is socks and underwear. The trick is to purchase better quality clothing that will last because fashion trends and colors ALWAYS come back after a generation!

44. Sherry Moore on April 23, 2019 at 10:52 pm

They should give the cloths away for free to countries that need it, that’s awful they sell cloths that’s are given by people for free, I got lots of cloths that are many yrs old but it’s no point buying from charity shops they are to expensive than buying new cloths for my kids which I think is ridiculous considering it’s for charity

45. Kay on April 23, 2019 at 10:55 pm

Not all thrift stores throw them out. I work for a thrift store and we recycle the clothes or send for disaster relief. You don’t have to throw it out! 😑

46. Shawnda Dickerson on April 23, 2019 at 10:57 pm

We they don’t give it to charity in the third world that do not have anything this is just commen sence like where ate these people brain at.you have other countries that can use these clothes

47. SJ A on April 23, 2019 at 10:59 pm

I. Hate. Shopping!

48. suraj karki on April 23, 2019 at 11:02 pm

hello< have you heard of Nepal? why dont you try it in Nepal?

49. Tylerrrroberts on April 23, 2019 at 11:04 pm

literally less than a minute into the video and she usin a plastic bag????

50. T K Chavan on April 23, 2019 at 11:04 pm

In Denmark, Swedistan, Norway, Iceland and Finland clothes are crazy expensive but they are of high quality. They don’t create a lot of textile waste and I think every country should follow them.