Live Your Authentic, True Self in Women’s Fashion & Style, How To & 5 Tips

Live Your Authentic, True Self in Women’s Fashion & Style, How To & 5 Tips

Remember when you were young? Are you still living your true & authentic self through fashion & style or have you conformed to age appropriate uniforms or to what others think you should wear? With all the options for women to wear in clothing & outfits that match their true personality isn’t it time you started being YOU. Whether it’s growing your hair long, putting in a purple streak, getting a tattoo or wearing that short little black dress, this How To video should help you with tips & techniques. Although this channel is popular with a woman over 50, this vlog could teach women in their 20s, 30s or 40s too. With all the Winter, Summer, Spring & Fall outfits that are there in women’s style we hope you find your authentic look and embrace it! Don’t forget to check out our blog at www.Awesomeover50.com

1. Jeanette Dalton on January 2, 2019 at 12:43 pm

Heather, great minds think alike:). I’ve known that I’m a free-spirit since childhood. When I was a little girl, I’d have great fun talking to guys that were about to go through training and then get ready for Vietnam. They would stop at the roadside just to talk to me. They were so cool. This was around 1967-68, I was 5or6 years old. I was always able to communicate with people older than myself. I’ve gone through so much in life, but I’ve managed to keep my sanity & remember who I really am. I’ve been a caregiver my entire life, and I’ve put a lot of my needs on the back burner; sad but true. After my husband passed away, I was scared&unsure of what to do next. It’s been 5 years since his death & I’m starting to really breath life again. I’m dancing like nobody’s watching (while shopping, doing yard work, etc..). I give compliments when I’m out&about, I like to see people with happy faces. I talk to children & to pets. I’ve gotten the courage to even hold & enjoy the beauty of geckos/iguanas, next I’m working on getting over my fear of snakes/spiders;LOL!!! I’ve had long hair my whole life, it’s me(long &silver/gray). My age is my badge of courage & strength, my 56th birthday is in December. I’m really getting into my art, my late husband always encouraged me to continue with it & to ignore critics. I’m a lifelong student, so I’m always looking for knowledge. I’m a sexy, flirtatious, old-soul that feels like she’s aging in reverse; if that makes sense. As I’ve said many times, I will be that 90 year old on the dance floor shaking what she’s got; LOL!!! Thank you Heather, I really enjoy conversing with you. You do look sexy in your little black dresses, but you always look fresh&well-dressed. I enjoy your videos & your truth&inspiration.:)

2. Susan Howard on January 2, 2019 at 12:43 pm

I love your video’s Heather. Your a beautiful gal and so down to earth.  FINALLY!  in my fifty’s I figured out that I am enough just the way I am! I guess the quote for me at this point of life is "Your approval is not necessary"

3. Doogy Dog on January 2, 2019 at 12:46 pm

You have got this right. It is so nice to not worry about pretentious stuff. My arms arent what they used to be, but I live in black tanks with built in bras in the summer made from organic cotton, i am so comfortable because I get miserable hot flashes. You know when you have that special thing because it makes you feel a certain way. Little Hurricane is such a sweet heart, he is the cutest dog on YT.

4. Melanie Paylor on January 2, 2019 at 12:47 pm

Hello heather , I have just found you channel and ILOVE IT . Thank you . I’m 60 next year and have always worried about what people think , but now I’m thinking , “ I’m going to wear what I like “ and as for little Hurricane bless him , he is so cute iv always let my dogs kiss my face it’s called Love 💗 Thank you once again for inspiring me to be what I am xx

5. Nadine Alessi on January 2, 2019 at 12:48 pm

Thanks Heather! I have been kinda lost in my wardrobe. I’ve given away clothes that give me joy because I felt they were too young for me. I’m still lost, but you are helping me find my way. Thank you for giving me permission to be myself and express it as colorfully as I want to.
    My motto "Who says I can’t?"

6. Gloria J. Pinsker on January 2, 2019 at 12:48 pm

Nothing better than doggy kisses! You go, girl! 😁🐕

7. Jennifer Carver on January 2, 2019 at 12:48 pm

Love yorkies! We have one too and they are so loving. I’m almost 50 and letting my grey hair grow in. My hair is salt and pepper and have been getting subtle blue highlights to blend with the grey. I’ve gotten so many compliments on it!

8. GiniB on January 2, 2019 at 12:49 pm

Thanks, I needed this! Have a great weekend. 👏👏👏

9. Lady Lena on January 2, 2019 at 12:50 pm

Great advice Heather. Sometimes we do need reminding! It gets a bit harder as you get older not to fall into the old stereotype of a ‘senior’. Yuk. I have always worn makeup, styled my hair, and worn heels….. Still do today, and I won’t give that up. Have a great week with Bill and Hurricane.😊

10. mollymollyhottamale on January 2, 2019 at 12:51 pm

Heather, my father told me many years ago, "I would love to plant a tree over in that spot, but I’ll never live long enough to see it grow." I remember how sad I thought that was. While looking for inspirational quotes one day, I ran across this Chinese proverb, "The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago. The second best time is now." To me that has meant there are times in your life when you do something because it is important to you, but there are equally times when you should do things because they are important to others. Like planting the tree. Since my dad didn’t think he would live long enough to see it grow- he didn’t plant it. But think about the people who would have enjoyed it’s beauty and shade and the wildlife who would have sought shelter between it’s leaves.

11. flyon littlewing on January 2, 2019 at 12:52 pm

I’m so glad I found your channel. I just turned 52, and it is a little hard. I’m trying to go with it. I have a favorite YouTuber who I love, but she is 30, gorgeous, healthy… Your video really spoke to me. I still need to find my authentic self. But so far, yes!! The hair!! I have long wavy hair like yours and I color it blonde and love it. I like your idea of getting your own custom T-shirt made. There is something I have in my Amazon wish list. It is an 8 x 10 saying that says "Make It Happen" in rose gold letters on a pale pink background. I also have a rose gold frame picked out for it. I want to put it by my bed because it is so true to me. Maybe you have convinced me to go for it and get it. And ahhhh pale pink. I am obsessed with pale pink now. Why I don’t know but I love it on my nails, clothes, gadgets. I have a whole amazon wish list called "Pink Things" lol. So those are some of the things that are true to me. I still have a ways to go to love myself or really feel like the me that I am inside. I’ll be bopping along, thinking I’m "me" and suddenly catch a look at myself in a mirror or shop window and my heart will sink. Oh yeah. That’s me. So I am glad I found your channel, I’ll still watch my 30 year old you tuber but feel like I have come home here. Thank you for doing what you do.

12. Bobbi Buttons on January 2, 2019 at 12:55 pm

Heather you have no idea how much your videos are helping me. I’ve gone from a confident woman who knew exactly what suited me be it clothes or makeup to this frump who has gone from a uk size 8 to a size 14-16. This happened over 4 months due to medication. I had to medically retire and due to depression I stopped wearing make up or in fact caring about anything. I found myself at 59 with no clue as I’d no clue about older ladies makeup
    Watching you is showing me how to dress and what looks are flattering. I’m so grateful to have found you.

13. Jill 4 Today on January 2, 2019 at 12:55 pm

This is one that I believe I made: "We are where we are because of where we’ve been."

14. leah smith on January 2, 2019 at 12:56 pm

My saying I love is Live, laugh,love…i have it in my apartment and i love wearing hair chalk in my white hair too..Take care and God bless ♡

15. Kim Watts on January 2, 2019 at 12:57 pm

Thank you Heather, will keep looking:)

16. Lady in Thread on January 2, 2019 at 12:57 pm

New subbie here!! What’s your sign? I’m an Aquarius and you are speaking my language!! Authenticity!! I’m 43 and I’ve let sales clerks at the mall talk me out of outfits I really loved and felt free in. Never again!! The most important thing you can have is comfort in your own skin!! That is priceless and the older we get the more important it is. Heck yeah, it’s good to get those male reactions!! They don’t have to rule us but it’s a confidence builder!! 💜

17. Lois on January 2, 2019 at 12:58 pm

My favourite quote: Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that whispers I’ll try again tomorrow.

18. Awesome over 50 on January 2, 2019 at 1:01 pm

Hey, it’s Heather…if you want to see our video list (we have over 70 now) here it is https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9qvp__gu8s1B4OCM5O9YRQ/videos

19. GiGiWellness28 on January 2, 2019 at 1:02 pm

"Treat others as how you want others to treat you!"

20. Donna on January 2, 2019 at 1:06 pm

Keeping it REAL! You make me smile, TY 🇺🇸

21. Peggy Carey on January 2, 2019 at 1:08 pm

Love your channel! I watch while I do chores and you have inspired me to feel good about being 52! You and Bill bring a lot of joy to me so thank you!Hurricane too!

22. Old Farts Fashion and Grooming on January 2, 2019 at 1:09 pm

I always tell everyone to be themselves. they don’t have to change for anyone. I like dressing in younger clothing. I get a lot of looks from older farts like what am I trying to do, be 20 again? I dress to feel good. Who cares what they think.

23. Linda Weddle on January 2, 2019 at 1:11 pm

My hip tattoo is a beach chair with an umbrella in hot pink, turquoise and melon… and my Tshirt GUN SAFETY RULE # 1…CARRY ONE!…… and I KISSED A chicken and I liked it !

24. Anne Armanini on January 2, 2019 at 1:12 pm

Hi Heather, I recently discovered your videos. Love them. I’m 67 years old. I love this video . A couple of years ago my son ,daughter and their partners and my husband and I went to an AC DC concert here in Australia. I was so excited as I grew up attending the disco where AC DC would have an occasional gig. I danced my old behind off. My children ,late twenties, were stunned…my son said..”mum! I’ve never seen you like that…you go for it.” I will never forget that statement . You know, really, I wish I had lived in a way so they knew already that deep down I was a rocker girl! I don’t know where that side of me has been but I love feeling her again.

Saw a slogan on a tea towel in Tasmania when on holidays…Adventure before Dementia…cute.

25. Fran Meneely on January 2, 2019 at 1:15 pm

Thanks for this video I needed it today I’m 63 also and have been feeling really down lately no support system, and i have been losing myself for years, I don’t know what happened I just am not myself anymore I love the clothes you have but after your told you don’t look that great for 27 years you kind of lose your spunk . I got to get it back I love those clothes you bought & love you

26. Reggie and her Man! on January 2, 2019 at 1:16 pm

Always love your attitude. Almost 62 and many people don’t believe it. A lot of it is attitude and how we look at life. Love to hit the vintage clothing rack at my local consignment store. I always wind up stopping in to take a look at the $5 rack during my walks through town. It’s supposed to be for exercise but sometimes I wind up finding a little something to add to my wardrobe. And many of my friends are beginning to notice my own style now…and. I get lots of positive comments. Be true to you!!
    Thanks, Heather

27. kelltic100 on January 2, 2019 at 1:18 pm

I have been catching up with all your videos and this one is so inspiring. I’m a product of the late 60’s early 70’s and my style has always been Boho, but when I hit my late 40’s I figured I was now too old for my favorite style of clothing. And here I am in my middle 60’s and guess what I have decided, I am not too old, and heck, I was never one who gave one fig about what others thought and have always walked my own path. So basically it was my own insecurities and what I call "stinkin thinkin" that allowed the doubt to come into play. So bring on the long flowy dresses and tops, the bell bottom jeans, the head scarves, the jewelry, the combat boots, etc. Thanks so much for giving me that nudge that I needed. Hmm…my favorite quote… I have a few, but this one came to mind when writing this, "a comfort zone is a beautiful place to be, however nothing ever grow there".

28. Lois on January 2, 2019 at 1:19 pm

Love your videos. You have been such a boost to my self esteem. BTW: I just bought a top that hubby calls a "party girl" top (it’s bright red). Too bad hubs, I am going to wear it

29. Diane Howe Art on January 2, 2019 at 1:21 pm

Hi Heather, another great and inspiring video. My favourite quote is ‘Yesterday is history, tomorrows a mystery, today is the present that’s why it’s a gift.’ Basically the more you can live in the now and really experience every day the better 😉 I’m 60 and still refusing to let it show 😉 I’ve had long hair all my life and have no intention of cutting it, even my husband has waist length hair lol. (He is my 2nd husband and 16yrs younger than me tho)

30. Mary Lou on January 2, 2019 at 1:22 pm

I always love your (and Bill’s) videos. Always take something of value away. 🙂 Mary Lou

31. Cheryl Peters on January 2, 2019 at 1:22 pm

Heather I love your style . You look young and hip without over doing it. I have just let my hair go grey and my hair is a bit shorter than I would wear it because I didn’t want 2 different colours . I feel sexier with a bit longer hair. Anyway I’m amazed at what people feel the need to say to me . Like "Awe why would you do that ?" I don’t like it. You should dye it back. I honestly I like the colour and have decided that regardless I’m ok with it . Watching your videos inspires me to do my own thing. Love you guys❤️❤️❤️. Thanks for sharing . The Eagles are my favourite .

32. Lisa J. Mueller on January 2, 2019 at 1:23 pm

Hi Heather….I really enjoy your videos because of your authenticity…but I think this is your best one yet!! You seemed so relaxed and like it was just a “girl chat”…which I needed!! Would love to hear more of your authentic story for the days since your modeling career. Your positivity about being over 50 is encouraging and it helps to hear how others approach it. I see from your comments to others that you are a Believer…if you think of it…please pray for my dear husband as he is battling cancer. We are in the hospital now…and I count you as a “friend” as your videos keep me company while he is most often sleeping. Thank you for being real and vulnerable in this very plastic age.

33. Priscilla Barrett on January 2, 2019 at 1:23 pm

Hi heather..I love your vedioes. This one is awesome .thank you❤

34. Roxana Mcglinchey on January 2, 2019 at 1:24 pm

I enjoy watching your videos Heather. You’re always so cheerful, I’m so happy for you to have such a wonderful husband by your side. I think you both bring out the best in each other. Little Hurricane is so loved and gives you so much love right back. Thank you for another great video today. Your so right, we must be ourselves. Wear your hair long if it makes you happy, wear the bright orange top if it makes you feel good. It’s all about making ones self happy. Someone out there will always criticise us no matter what!

35. Gita J on January 2, 2019 at 1:24 pm

I think I’m most true to myself when I put on my garden clothes (and I don’t mean some fancy pool outfit), I mean those lousy, half dirty rags which allow me to have a serious moment with the weeds and stuff. I never feel as good as when I’m working in the garden. I embrace the saying by my father since it comes natural also for me. "Everything that’s worth doing is worth doing well". Agree?

36. Shirley Hook on January 2, 2019 at 1:26 pm

Laugh Live Love enjoy ever step of ever path. You never know what you will find when you turn that corner. Live life to the fullest each day we have that is a day we have a chance to make it better.

37. Laura Lea Frederick on January 2, 2019 at 1:28 pm

Just found your channel. I am not quite 50 yet ( 48) ,but I hope that’s okay and your youtube family lets me in the club 🙂 I enjoyed this video. My husband and I have raised our four boys ( 25,24,20,17) and now we are enjoying life a little. We go see a lot of live music , concerts and music festivals and I have embraced my hippie vibe! I wore a pixie cut for many years but have been letting my hair grow for almost 3 years now and I love it longer. I recently bought a long leopard print robe with black lace detail from Goodwill for $2.59 and when I brought it home I told my husband that I was totally going to rock it as a kimono/duster this fall. He usually loves my style but gave me a sideways look when I told him my plan. haha..but it will not stop me. I love it. It is so beautiful. I plan to wear it with a corset top and black leggings with snake skin print booties to a concert or maybe a night out. Can’t wait! PS: The robe came with the matching nightgown that is mid-length. I think I am going to belt it and wear it as a slip dress with some stilettos on a cruise we are going on next year.

38. caroljoywolf on January 2, 2019 at 1:29 pm

Great video. I loved your t-shirts & messages and little Hurricane’s hat! Love the dress you had on as well. My inspirational message is "set a goal, try it, you can do this"…kind of like your shirt. But I used that saying today when I got my 57-year-old butt up a big hill bridge on my bike this morning.

39. Amy Ralls on January 2, 2019 at 1:29 pm

Hey, Heather! I’m 56 on the outside, but I’m barely 30 on the inside!! My haie color changes often, and usually more than 1 color – sometimes even 3 or 4 colors, and at least one of those hair colors are not "natural" hair colors! I enjoy hot pinks, different purples, and the sort!! 😉

I also still very much rnjoy my stiletto and high heel shoes! When I was younger, I had no problem wearing 4 1/2 to 5 1/2 inch heels! And if there was a stack up front, I could go even higher! Today, 3 1/3 inches are my biggest hight, but that stack can make them look taller!!

When I leave my home, I prefer to dress up. Yeah, I will wear jeans, but I always dress them up in some way. If my husband and I are going out for dinner, even at a relatively casual place, I still like to put in some extra effort to look nice for that date with my special guy!

Hry, you only live once, enjoy it with everything you’ve got!

40. Kate Johnson on January 2, 2019 at 1:32 pm

Heather, you are such an inspiration!!!!! My motto is ‘be the change’ and the last fun authentic thing I did was get spray hair colors for all the members of our family going to a concert at the Biltmore House. We each had different colored hair, took loads of pictures and had a fabulous time. Thanks for reminding me it’s time to make more fun!

41. Hunnie B on January 2, 2019 at 1:32 pm

Hey Heather……thank you for this awesome video, and I truly believe that it is in our best interest to be our authentic selves. LOVE your retro dress, gosh……. how darn cute is your pup T shirt……..and I always love seeing sweet Hurricane giving kisses. Loving all your T’s, my fav is " Give a Little Bit "……….I am 63 years old and I love to kick it up a notch with wearing cool jewelry and anything denim, it’s such a youthful look 🙂 There are so many quotes that I love, but one of my favs is by Dr. Seuss " why fit in when you were born to stand out " I would totally love that quote on a T shirt……..thanks so much for sharing Heather, wishing you and Bill a wonderful week-end, take care 🙂

42. KATE ' on January 2, 2019 at 1:32 pm

"Remember who you are and what you represent" 💜💜💜

43. Gert Gerenser on January 2, 2019 at 1:35 pm

Your such an inspiration! What a great idea to wear a sweet message 💞🌻🌈🌟🧚‍♂️

44. Anģela F on January 2, 2019 at 1:36 pm

Hi Heather,
    thanks for this great and interesting video.
    I think exactly like you.
    My mother is turning 82 on Wednesday, she is a modern woman who uses make-up and dresses nicely, she looks 15 years younger. My dad goes in September 83, he wears jeans and modern shirt’s, he also looks a lot younger. I love my parents because they are the way they are.

I’m going to be 57 on August 8, I have long hair (even when I’m 100)and use makeup. I have two tattoos on my back and two piercings (but no one can see). I dress the way I like it .Why should I run around like a grandma? However, everything should be stylish and not embarrassing. I feel good and do not let anyone dictate what I should look like.
    Only those who accept me as I am love me.

Heather and Bill. ….. I have seen a lot of German videos of women for women over 50 but you two are the best and now the only ones I look at. I’m happy about every new video.😍
    I hope we see you soon………Best wishes 💝💓🍀🌞💐……Angéla from Germany

45. Rosemary Alexander on January 2, 2019 at 1:36 pm

I love to wear bright colours too. You have some very unique pieces Heather. I love your sense of fun. Yes, some outfits in my closet I will wear for certain occasions that call for it. Thank you!

46. Kimber Archuleta on January 2, 2019 at 1:36 pm

You’re so sweet, hugs from Montana

47. Simar Song on January 2, 2019 at 1:38 pm

Hi Heather! I am a lowkey type of gal, but I added a chrome peace sign to the back of my SUV, and just love the statement without having to be eye to eye with someone! I’m still a work in progress!

48. Silver Dragonfly Tears on January 2, 2019 at 1:39 pm

Great advice, I was in the corporate world for 40 years. I’m 62 now & I have let my hair go natural & longer. We don’t have to fit in a mold anymore. Puppy kisses are the best!

49. Joan E on January 2, 2019 at 1:41 pm

I’ve been wanting a CHOOSE LIFE t-shirt like George Michael wore in his Wake me up Before you Go Go video! I absolutely loved him and that shirt really means something to me. After all, what’s better than embracing life? I also never got a second hole ear piercing back in the day. It’s time! Thanks for getting me thinking about all the fun we can put back into our lives Heather!!

50. Karen F on January 2, 2019 at 1:42 pm

My quote: Relax, whatever happens, it’s gonna be ok.”