Should Men Over 40 Follow Fashion Trends

Should Men Over 40 Follow Fashion Trends

Today, we try to answer the question of whether men over 40 should follow fashion trends.

My FREE Style Guide – https://bit.ly/2DJvyW2
WEBSITE – http://40overfashion.com/
INSTAGRAM – https://www.instagram.com/40overfashion/
Contact – 40overfashion@gmail.com
The video camera I use – http://amzn.to/2HQ66xq
The other camera I use – http://amzn.to/2uiMCiK
The gimbal I use – http://amzn.to/2pzqvjo
The microphone I use – http://amzn.to/2G9lPKJ
The mini tripod I use – http://amzn.to/2GcPrqE

Help support the 40 Over Fashion channel by shopping my Amazon Store! – https://amzn.to/2HDiOSQ

May contain affiliate links/

1. Alfred Tomas on January 12, 2020 at 8:55 pm

Everyone has a different look… some people regardless of age can pull off everything…i think style has a lot to do with someone’s body… their look… their personality… and confidence. Trends can be expensive, especially if it’s designer. I’ve seen 60 year old men wearing off white…yeezy… and to be honest… they can afford it.

2. chris faulkner on January 12, 2020 at 8:56 pm

You should do more videos on different sneakers that guys our age can wear that don’t look like we’re still trying to act 20.

3. seraph on January 12, 2020 at 8:56 pm

I don’t follow fashion, fashion follows me

4. T Martin on January 12, 2020 at 8:57 pm

Thanks for all your helpful videos. Can you do a video of swimsuits for shorter men. Most of the swimsuits trunks are too long. I am sure there is a line of swimsuits with a shorter length somewhere..Thanks in advance!

5. SAN DRO on January 12, 2020 at 8:58 pm

Here to hear more 👍

6. Tal 3 on January 12, 2020 at 9:01 pm

Develop your own style

7. j acosta23 on January 12, 2020 at 9:02 pm

I would say it depends on one’s life style. I just turned 50, but for example, i am more relatable to the hip-hop culture. Not necessarily the music, but the culture in general. So i stil have and ware red sneakers, demins of all shades, and my tops are usually crew neck ts, and baseball caps. Now by the same token, i like wearing a noce fitted swater, fitted slacks and some nice shows, and so on. At the end of the day it just has to do with how comfortable one feels, and looks with what one is wearing. NOW PLEASE ( DO ) STAY AWAY FROM SAGGY PANTS, BIG CLOTHS, AND BIG ANYTHING.

8. Duke Of Prunes on January 12, 2020 at 9:02 pm

My wife has a 50-something co-worker who dresses in tight fitting black clothing, skinny jeans, sunglasses (indoors), and goofy hair styles. Everyone laughs at him, especially because of the old stereotype that gay men are supposed to dress really well. Anyway, we older guys need to look DISTINGUISHED, not look like a dickhead! 😂

9. scott lawrence on January 12, 2020 at 9:03 pm

Bold pants video for sure please

10. stevekerp1 on January 12, 2020 at 9:03 pm

Ditto Ron’s comment about 12 comments below this one (May 13th). Also: wear ripped jeans if cleaning the garage or flying a sign at the side of the road. Or if you just want to look like a failure. Slobware is never classy. High fashion clothes, even if they fit well, don’t really make up for the slovenly look, so take care of your skin, get some exercise, and keep your hair and beard trimmed. Oh, and smile! If you want to look good, a confident smile is an asset. Charles Strouse and Martin Charnin made a valid point.

11. Abdelsalam Refaat on January 12, 2020 at 9:05 pm

Hi John
    Just found your channel
    subscribed after watching your "10 things men should give up at 40"

You should make an intro for your vids

Great work
    Looking forward to your stuff

12. Begum Sahiba on January 12, 2020 at 9:07 pm

Why have you moved from California to Seattle? California is such a beautiful state and Seattle pours all the time. This is not fair . I was thinking of meeting you sometime. I live in California too.

13. arabion knights on January 12, 2020 at 9:07 pm

I am over 50.
    I dress semi conservative.
    No loud business attire..
    Also age appropriate.
    I do like slim jeans dress shoes button down shirts and stingy bream Stetsons.
    I like a glow on my skin.
    Black american clean cut.
    I like the George Cloone style

14. Michael Moreton on January 12, 2020 at 9:07 pm

My attitude– If you are not Keith Richard, you cant be cool if you are over 50.

15. Joseph Sassone on January 12, 2020 at 9:09 pm

Flat front pants have been in and out of favor for many, many decades. I wouldn’t call that a "trend".

16. B Peters on January 12, 2020 at 9:11 pm

Sensible approach! Good job!

17. Gregarious Narain on January 12, 2020 at 9:16 pm

This sounds like terrible advice, TBH. I am 44 and think you should dress how you feel. Have confidence to try new things, express yourself, and don’t settle on anything just because the ticket has gone higher.

I wear lots of things that are on trend because they are interesting, new, and expressive. I also skip all the ones I don’t like, but not because of my age.

I also wear a suit as often as possible, even though I work from home. That’s gone the way of the dodo as well with all the casual attire but that hasn’t stopped me.

Just my humble thoughts 😉

18. billymoore1970 on January 12, 2020 at 9:17 pm

Off topic…….. Have you ever used sea salt spray? Do you like it? Is it worth the money?

19. Taylor Van Buskirk on January 12, 2020 at 9:18 pm

I think a lot of trends in mens clothing is too feminine. The skinnier the legs, the more feminine it looks. It’s not for me.

20. Bruce Jensen on January 12, 2020 at 9:19 pm

I shoot for stylish as opposed to trendy. Like you mentioned, I did purchase shirts with a muted stripe in the pattern. A large stripe on a large man would have been overpowering. As far as white pants are concerned…when pigs fly. I was a baker for 45 years. White pants would make me feel like I was at work again.

21. Alex K on January 12, 2020 at 9:23 pm

Really like those pants at 2:04. Are they chinos? Trousers?

22. Oskar Theme on January 12, 2020 at 9:24 pm

I, too, vote for a patterened pants video.

23. mylifeonthebeach on January 12, 2020 at 9:25 pm

At 61, I’m still rockin’ the Miami Vice look. Isn’t it still on trend?

24. CSD on January 12, 2020 at 9:25 pm

Bring on the trousers..

25. Al Ponca on January 12, 2020 at 9:27 pm

Great video as always! You hit the spot on being aware of the trends but ultimately I feel that one can take the concept and apply it in a classic way. In other words, by paying attention to trends you can then use a dash of it and incorporate it to your classic wardrobe refreshing it without looking like a teenager. But in the end this applies if you care if not its not the end of the world. Thanks for always creating interesting ideas and topics!

26. Steve Rodgers on January 12, 2020 at 9:28 pm

Nope.

27. Kev Cameron-Ross on January 12, 2020 at 9:29 pm

Yep I’m interested and seeing how to pull of the check trousers look

28. Jocef Jose on January 12, 2020 at 9:29 pm

Trends are for the anxious.
    — Lord John Maclean

29. EF ANDMK on January 12, 2020 at 9:31 pm

No, men over 40 should stop following "fashion" and start thinking "style". Oldsters (men and women) look ridiculous trying to follow fashion. Most young people look ridiculous in their fashionable clothing from back in the day. I your over 40, take a look at some pictures from when you were in your teens and twenties. Be ready to feel embarrassed Here are some examples of "style". A simple layered haircut with the part wherever it’s flattering for you. Penny loafers. Canvas tennis shoes. Oxfords Pinstriped suits.. Solid sport coats. Oxford collars. Medium to thin width ties. Levis. Polo shirts. Well fitting square or round tail shirts, long and short sleeved…solid or stripes..no checks. Well fitting flat front slacks. Knee length wool coats. Fedoras. Inch above the knee shorts without cargo pockets. Well fitting T shirts without advertising on them. Loose fitting, square, inch above the knee swim trunks. Training shoes and sweatpants are for training and sweating. Period. A round or square faced analogue wrist watch with a leather or metal band. This is where you start.

30. Chris Erskine on January 12, 2020 at 9:32 pm

Can you expand on Mike Garrison’s comments, I think he makes a good point and would love to hear your take.

31. Jeff Duran on January 12, 2020 at 9:33 pm

Of course

32. Dan on January 12, 2020 at 9:33 pm

Lets explore the bold trousers!

33. Raymond Smith on January 12, 2020 at 9:35 pm

Yes John, that would be good if you did something on bold patterned trousers.

34. David Neal on January 12, 2020 at 9:35 pm

Awww come on, if you maintain your appearance a pop of trendy color from Balenciaga or Gucci can be really exciting. The clip of the sneakers was not fair, they can totally be pulled off.

35. adam K on January 12, 2020 at 9:36 pm

nice topic John 🙂

36. Mark G. on January 12, 2020 at 9:36 pm

I work at an international airport, and see hundreds of people every day. You wouldn’t believe some of the outfits being worn. Guys, if you’re over 25, get rid of your “hoodies”! It’s a terrible look!…and wear a “real” shirt, with sleeves. No one wants to sit next to you and your bare armpits for three hours!

37. Tas Pepito on January 12, 2020 at 9:39 pm

I am 70 and have often been mistaken for being in my mid 50’s. I dress somewhat preppy, I still wear, khaki’s, Sperry’s and oxford shirts. (Boring I know.) I live on the west coast of Florida (the other side of the continent from you) and wonder if you can do or recommend a fashion trend for this geographical location or even the south in general? BTW, I lived in Southern California for many years which is wear I picked up my fashion style while in College. Thanks in advance.

38. Eddy Jimenez on January 12, 2020 at 9:40 pm

John, love ur advice! Wife noticing the change for the better on how im dressing lately! 👌

39. Robert Wong on January 12, 2020 at 9:41 pm

I’m going to be 53…but I wear what people r wearing in their 30s….it suits me

40. Michael Johnson on January 12, 2020 at 9:41 pm

Great topic, John! I recently discovered your YouTube channel and I’m enjoying your content and appreciate your approach to men’s fashion. I’ve been trying to up my fashion game the last two years after losing a ton of weight. I’d love to hear you talk about patterned pants. I definately feel most comfortable in the classic styles but I’m feeling tempted to try some bolder pattered pants. Thank you!

41. Harold Chipman on January 12, 2020 at 9:42 pm

Plaid pants? OMG, how awful. That’s OK when you exchanged your sex life for the golf course. I think it all depends on your personality and your energy levels and what you put out there. For instance, I’m a younger-looking 72 and the fashionable flower patterns of 2019 for shirts/t-shirts look really good on me. And by the way, I bought my first flower shirt in Carnaby Street, London, in 1966!!!!

42. melbman43 on January 12, 2020 at 9:47 pm

Thanks John, last year I went to buy a winter jacket, NO it wasn’t gonna be one off those Bubble jackets, don’t follow trends, but own them.

43. Raz Barlow on January 12, 2020 at 9:47 pm

I like the bold print pants and would like to see a video about that.

44. T Gavin on January 12, 2020 at 9:47 pm

Always Great advise!!!

45. Joe Rutherford on January 12, 2020 at 9:48 pm

Please do a video on bold print trousers.

46. David Sebastian on January 12, 2020 at 9:50 pm

2:05 the best in my book 👍🏾

47. B Nelski025 on January 12, 2020 at 9:50 pm

Yo, can u do a video on ties…skinny, fat, bowtie, etc. What’s in now? And is there a certain body type for wearing certain ties?

48. Jason Myjak on January 12, 2020 at 9:51 pm

I’m 41, and realize that all my clothing were either to long, or to baggy . Especially shirts and jeans. Thanks to you, I’ve but pair all white converse shoes, smaller size shirts.. feel more comfortable in my clothing

49. Robert Wong on January 12, 2020 at 9:52 pm

John…nice video…I find you attractive the way you carrying yourself….I’m 50+ and follow trends at times…

50. Carbunkle on January 12, 2020 at 9:54 pm