STOP tying the Fisherman's Knot!

STOP tying the Fisherman's Knot!

Anglers need to stop tying the fisherman’s knot. Many knots are stronger, cleaner, and simpler than the fisherman’s knot (also known as the clinch knot and improved clinch knot.) . In today’s video I provide a knot tutorial on how to tie a uni knot, how to tie a palomar knot, and how to tie a orvis knot. I also explain my reasoning for ditching the old school techniques and learning something new.

Comment below if you like the tutorial style!

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬Subscribe ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
►Subscribe To My Channel:

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ Follow me on Social Media▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
►Instagram: @Junoryan

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ Check Out the last Video▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
►http://bit.ly/2TNYCoY

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ Related Knot Tests▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
►http://bit.ly/2TTlz9yfieldandstream
►http://bit.ly/2HwN039saltstrong
►http://bit.ly/2HKEeOusportfishingmag

1. Comeclarity5555 on May 19, 2019 at 3:13 am

Been using the Palomar since a very young age, never tied another knot for fishing! I typically now fish for Pike and Muskie with a 40 pound braided line and have yet to be broken off! It’s really great for even big lures because you don’t have to pull the tag end and waste line as it doesn’t kink or damage like a monofilm. Not that it’s an issue because I always have a leader of for those beastly teeth. Great video man hopefully this saves many people lost fish!

2. Hellifiknow on May 19, 2019 at 3:13 am

what i want to see next is you apologize for your opinion of the clinch knot users ! you suc

3. Tony Saunders on May 19, 2019 at 3:16 am

As all of my fishing is lures for Atlantic cod, pollock and haddock I’ll try the orvis as anything that reduces the chance of collecting weed is very much welcome

4. Ven Geance on May 19, 2019 at 3:16 am

Palomar in general, snell for heavier line, and uniknot for joining line. That’s what i use.

5. Chris Watson on May 19, 2019 at 3:16 am

How much tag end do you leave on those knots? Thanks

6. FreeUrMindz on May 19, 2019 at 3:16 am

Great vid. I learned a new knot, relearned a forgotten knot that i used a long time ago, and the wifey will learn all 3! Thanks!

7. S R on May 19, 2019 at 3:17 am

Please use completely black background when you show your knots. Thank you!

8. Matthew Stork on May 19, 2019 at 3:18 am

Notice how the fisherman’s knot is the basis for most knots. Palomar knot for catfish is amazing.

9. John Murphy on May 19, 2019 at 3:19 am

Double threaded fisherman’s knot.
    Because the double grip of the hook and the strength it gives to the line by not bending the main line before the eye of the hook.

10. Mark Amsberg on May 19, 2019 at 3:21 am

I’ve used the improved clinch my whole life. Just learned the Palomar this week. Recently I have had hard time with the fishermens knot and poking myself with the hook cinching it up. Going to practice those and get familiar with them and let you know. Thank you for the instructions.

11. Marcus Lane on May 19, 2019 at 3:21 am

The "world’s fair knot" never gets any love. Except for me, I love it and won’t leave it. Need a loop? Canoeman Loop Knot. There ya go. You’re welcome. Always remember, knot testing doesn’t use drag. If you’re a crappy (not crappie) knot tier then loosen that drag a tad. You’re welcome again but, don’t be a crappy knot tier. No one will like you.

12. Brian Renfro on May 19, 2019 at 3:21 am

Those are not new knots.

13. ZombieHands 404 on May 19, 2019 at 3:22 am

I’m so use to using the clinch/fisherman’s knot I can tye up super fast and blindfolded but I’ve been practicing tying the san Diego jam knot. It has something like 96% line strength.

14. Josh Taylor on May 19, 2019 at 3:23 am

On a palomer you can just pass on through then pass it back through making the loop no need to create a loop to fit in the hole 🙄

15. Paul Phillips on May 19, 2019 at 3:24 am

I’m so distracted by your thumb… they shouldn’t bend that way!

16. Jessie Insley on May 19, 2019 at 3:24 am

I always use the palomar knot, never had a line break with 10-12lb line

17. JunoRyan on May 19, 2019 at 3:25 am

What do you all want to see on the next episode of tackle techniques? 🤔

18. Craig Campbell on May 19, 2019 at 3:26 am

I use the Polomar for catfish and huge smallies, and have found, at least on my experience, it definitely is a superior to the improved clinch knot!

19. Gilbert Ogawa on May 19, 2019 at 3:28 am

I have used the Palomar knot for some time in the past as it was fast and simple, but sadly I have lost a lot of fish though, so I went back to the Uni and the regular one that did the job with no major compaints. But that was my experience.

20. John Nowak on May 19, 2019 at 3:30 am

How is Fuji?

21. Bill Zerkeley on May 19, 2019 at 3:32 am

For braid, I would simply use the Fish-n-Fool knot, which is basically a Uni-knot, but the tag end goes through the eye of the hook twice. It was proven to be the strongest braid knot in Knot Wars.

22. Johnny English on May 19, 2019 at 3:33 am

You still hang out with victor from landshard fishing

23. Mike Kaper on May 19, 2019 at 3:34 am

DEEZ KNOTS

24. gonzo outthere on May 19, 2019 at 3:37 am

wow 3 minutes and 40 second lead in to explain that i am about to tie a strong knot.

25. Matt Webster on May 19, 2019 at 3:40 am

I just came across your video and I totally agree with you about the fisherman’s knot. I was taught how to tie this knot as a kid" and over the years I found that with continue use ; IE casting and pulling out snags, it would eventually give way. I use the uni knot now or the grinner knot" as it used to be known as. "and i don’t have any problems now. Good video mate. 👍

26. Howzit on May 19, 2019 at 3:40 am

All these knots have similar strength, it’s usually user error when a fish is lost due to the knot failing.

27. Joe Gonzales on May 19, 2019 at 3:40 am

My dad made his own knot and it is extremely strong you guys I’m not lying. So basically what you do is you go through the eye and back through the eye again and you will have a loop. Pinch the loop and the eye of the hook at the same time and pull the tag line until the loop is really small. Wrap your tag line around the standing line 3 or 4 times depending on the test you have and go through both of the loops at the bottom of the standing line by the eye of the hook. Then go back through the top loop. Wet it, sinch it, clip it and fish it folks.

28. Alek Mellen on May 19, 2019 at 3:41 am

Now that she’s been wet, sliiiiide her down. Hell yeah brother!

29. Sheriff of Rock Ridge on May 19, 2019 at 3:42 am

I use the fisherman hook but wrap it 6-7 times instead of 5. I like the second knot. Gonna try it especially for hooks

30. JustKeith on May 19, 2019 at 3:44 am

I was skeptical until the joke. — That’s what she said…

31. Vincent Winkleblech on May 19, 2019 at 3:46 am

Uniknot to tie mono or Fluorocarbon direct is best. Uni to Uni to tie mono to mono or mono To Fluorocarbon.
    Alberto to tie Braid to Mono or Fluorocarbon. FG KNOT IS TOO MUCH WORK!
    Also remember you can use the Uniknot for a snell as well !!!! Just tie it below the eye on the hook!!!
    For the Record , you can use the Double Uniknot for Braid to Mono But you have to use a few extra twists on both sides. That is why the improved Albright( Alberto) is best.

32. Jerry Chapman on May 19, 2019 at 3:47 am

Don’t fish the Palomar with heavy lures gets weak after casting repeatedly,you need double trilene (2 threw the eye 6 wraps,pass back in the loops,spit pull done.)lasts fish after fish.#fishgod

33. Chris Christensen on May 19, 2019 at 3:48 am

i use polymer knot

34. Selected Aliens on May 19, 2019 at 3:49 am

ive been using the fishermans knot for 18 yaers and my dad has used it for 40 something years so I don’t know what your talking about

35. KEIWHITE2 on May 19, 2019 at 3:49 am

box knot

36. Beleg Cuthalion on May 19, 2019 at 3:53 am

At least you trying to give more options for different fishing situations .thank you I’d use all of them for different reasons ..

37. EastTexassurvival on May 19, 2019 at 3:54 am

The biggest fish I’ve ever hooked, I’ve lost with a fisherman’s knot….never again.

38. John Dough on May 19, 2019 at 3:55 am

As a B.A.S.S tournament fisherman I use the uni for plastic lines and palomar for braid exclusively.

39. BAMA 1986 on May 19, 2019 at 4:01 am

Many dudes …. Lolololol. Stop saying dudes

40. Janne Tammela on May 19, 2019 at 4:02 am

i havent ever used clintch knot myself, i use improvised version of it all the time, and on my UL-set i use palomars primarly for some reason lol, habit i guess

41. Brad Tobias on May 19, 2019 at 4:03 am

Skip to 1:30 to bypass content which will scientifically make you dumber if you watch.

42. 240X on May 19, 2019 at 4:04 am

use the dynamite knot

43. Jorge Granado on May 19, 2019 at 4:05 am

The Palomar knot sucks. Had several break on me.

44. Joseph Lawson on May 19, 2019 at 4:07 am

First knot my dad taught me was the Palomar. That was the only knot I used up until just recently. I still use it for most stuff, but I’ve been looking at knots for floating top water baits that will let them move more freely.

45. Brian Jones on May 19, 2019 at 4:08 am

I haven’t set enough hooks and I’m a hater you say I use multiple knots and gear to match my game if you saw me face-to-face you wouldn’t say that to me in person son I bluefin tuna fish for fun I have caught and released bigger blue fin then you and I put together not bitch ass sharks from the beach have a good one

46. Chris Watson on May 19, 2019 at 4:10 am

Stop using my fishermans knot? Boy I’ll punch yer neck in!

47. Redline870 on May 19, 2019 at 4:11 am

I’ve had the Palomar knot break at the knot many times while casting strangely enough. I love the uni I just find it hard to dress the knot and tie in heavy winds, I still use it most often though.

48. DeadCats on May 19, 2019 at 4:11 am

I can’t believe you hadn’t heard of the trilene not. It’s been popular in my area since before the internet existed. The trilene and the canoe man loop are about the only knots I use these days.

49. Jelsma Rod Co on May 19, 2019 at 4:12 am

You should have done a video on how to set up your drag instead of bashing on Knots considering that it doesn’t matter what not to use if your drag is not set correct

50. summerdying111 on May 19, 2019 at 4:12 am

How about you try using deeeezzzz nutzzzz