The Fountain War – A History of Gaming's Biggest War

The Fountain War – A History of Gaming's Biggest War

The Fountain War was the biggest war in Eve Online, and by extension, the biggest war in gaming history. It was between the two largest alliances in Eve Online and many allies, it lasted months and key events during the conflict turned on spies, diplomacy and straight up bribery. There’s nothing approaching this in any other game and I think the story is worth telling.

I got the idea after seeing the Kickstarter to write a Dramatized version of the Fountain War by an established author – I hope after watching this you realise there’s a story here which lends itself to being retold in dramatic fashion.

1. Olaf Warnecke on September 2, 2019 at 3:44 pm

You could even make a TV Series based on this.

2. B F on September 2, 2019 at 3:44 pm

Hummm, I never heard of Eve Online or this massive space battle before.

3. David O'Meara on September 2, 2019 at 3:44 pm

[21:26] Love, true love?

4. Nerigal Awatt on September 2, 2019 at 3:45 pm

ive been involved in the fight again bob and goons, before that i saw the fall of ASCN and D2, There is enough lore create by the player in eve for a sci-fi series that could last 10 years

5. Critstix Darkspear on September 2, 2019 at 3:49 pm

Pandemic Legion. The true definition of “My Dad is a lawyer”

6. Seán O'Nilbud on September 2, 2019 at 3:50 pm

Thank fuck this silly fucking idea was cancelled.

7. Andras Libal on September 2, 2019 at 3:50 pm

How many work hours and productivity was lost in the real world for this … unimaginable.
    I guess it’s still better than bored people going to a real war …

8. Denver Beek on September 2, 2019 at 3:50 pm

I actually live in Fountain rn, as part of Initiative Associates. Despite the chokepoint at F7C-H0, you’d be surprised how difficult it is to defend, especially with the recent Nullsec Blackout.

9. TheNeonOutlaw on September 2, 2019 at 3:51 pm

This is the story that convinced me to play EvE. I just finished installing it.

10. Zestric on September 2, 2019 at 3:52 pm

That book never happened did it?

11. Tiago Miranda on September 2, 2019 at 3:56 pm

And here I am just messing around as a suicide bomber Ullapool Caber Demoman on Team Fortress 2.

12. rommelfcc on September 2, 2019 at 3:59 pm

Movie would be good… maybe after the book. It will have a game of thrones feel…

13. Raven Burrows on September 2, 2019 at 4:00 pm

nope

14. A fine Murican on September 2, 2019 at 4:01 pm

So em … who is the goodguy again ?!!?

15. Obscured Cloud on September 2, 2019 at 4:01 pm

Who’s here from The Official Podcast?

16. Auxodium on September 2, 2019 at 4:02 pm

god these names are so bloody hilariously lame yet funny.

17. David Meigs on September 2, 2019 at 4:04 pm

Great… now I want to play eve again…

18. po ko on September 2, 2019 at 4:04 pm

tsssss nope

19. NKVD Citizen101 on September 2, 2019 at 4:07 pm

good with GS at start, they got rid of the cheating (ccp)BoBies.

20. Mark Cangila on September 2, 2019 at 4:08 pm

Test and goons are back together now

21. Paddy Mc on September 2, 2019 at 4:09 pm

CFC = Cluster Fu(k Coalition.

God I’m so edgy.

22. GokouZWAR on September 2, 2019 at 4:09 pm

I’m all for something like this, but this isn’t the ONLY story in eve online: there have been hundreds of wars (maybe not on this scale) but they’ve all been fought. Goons didn’t have deklin the whole time, they used to be all over stain but then they moved up to deklin I was in that battle (I still have a few resources in the stations there I’ll never get if I can’t be a part of that alliance, then being in stain with AAA we had several back and forth battles with test and pandemic legion over stain and ultimately AAA fell at some point too after I had been long gone from eve.

Point being I’d really like to see this more converted from a single story of a single battle to a literal history of eve from the first day they really started tracking the sovereignty of nullsec to today, which would include battles between these two but also other battles that took place in the east and south too. It does no justice for the scale of the game to focus only on goons otherwise it does become goons propaganda and it’s only there to stroke the ego of mittani who (lets be real here) doesn’t need more stroking.

Let’s not forget that he got banned for encouraging a player (in real life) to commit suicide telling him he should off himself. He’s not JUST a troll but a dangerous person. This game has had other things happen in real life. This battle cost companies millions when people left their real world work to be in these battles to save their virtual starships. (One of the reasons I decided to get out of it years before this happened). The idea is good but throwing money to Mitanni for this just isn’t something I think is wise.

23. Mos Kito on September 2, 2019 at 4:09 pm

From a time when EvE ONLINE was a game worth playing and not just another retarded BS like so many other games where Gamemakers fucking around with an already perfect game.
    We will NEVER see things like the Fountain war again on EvE server. They just merged the Chinese Server with the Rest of the Worlds server, just to get the numbers they need… 😀 😀 😀
    I am sad seeing EvE online dying but hey, they can work for free in Island as long as they have enough ALPHALPHA Accounts, there is always some work for them …just no income 😀 😀 😀

24. Jake Bryant on September 2, 2019 at 4:11 pm

Didn’t the book kickstarter got cancelled?

25. Mojo Z on September 2, 2019 at 4:11 pm

I love this story, feels so real . Like its some thing that has happened in teal life

26. MAXNAZ 47 on September 2, 2019 at 4:11 pm

Why read the book when i’ve just watched the movie 😂

27. gene colon on September 2, 2019 at 4:11 pm

Millions died- lawl

28. Synthya Wylder on September 2, 2019 at 4:12 pm

Scott Manley, I’ve heard a lot of interesting things about EVE Online & was curious. Also, a lot of troubling things… like the heavy conflict-focused aspect, the predatory bullies, & especially the trolls/trolling, exemplified succinctly: "We’re not here to ruin the game; we’re here to ruin YOUR game." I’ve now no interest in EVE Online, even more so after seeing this video. I love SciFi, Space & playing online for the fun, story & relaxation in my limited off-duty time, & have no need for any additional angst. Thanks for the video, & a very ‘interesting’ backstory!

29. Toxically Masculine on September 2, 2019 at 4:12 pm

you should make another video like this. the topic is just so interesting that i watched this twice, and i already used to play eve for a few years

30. loser face on September 2, 2019 at 4:13 pm

oh no fuckyoufleet at 6:04

31. Angie B on September 2, 2019 at 4:14 pm

Scott Manley plays EvE?!?! Awesome!!

32. Jake Bryant on September 2, 2019 at 4:15 pm

Didn’t the book kickstarter got cancelled?

33. 321GhostRider123 on September 2, 2019 at 4:17 pm

I fought for Circle of two. It was fun back then. But EvE is so time consuming you have almost no time for RL if u go all the way. It’s more a way of life then a game 😛

34. reed miller on September 2, 2019 at 4:17 pm

Yall cant even understand how good of a video this is

35. Eric Easterly on September 2, 2019 at 4:19 pm

HOLY COW I WAS THERE

36. KrazyKiwi on September 2, 2019 at 4:20 pm

So this is where all the Puzzle Pirate players went. I recognise a few names from ages past. Pandemic was one of them.

37. ImmortalInflames on September 2, 2019 at 4:24 pm

Years later, still a great video!

38. perranial boom jackass on September 2, 2019 at 4:25 pm

Goonswarm more like cumswarm9yrold

39. Nicholas Perrin on September 2, 2019 at 4:27 pm

EVE is a game I could have really dug into and enjoyed were there no real life effects due to online losses. I tried it for about a month free to play style, but to actually enjoy the game, you have to invest real money into the game. I have never enjoyed spending money on any game past it’s initial purchase price and with EVE, you can easily spend tons and still not get far. Keeps a money minded person from being able to find joy in the actual playing.

40. rex mundi on September 2, 2019 at 4:31 pm

To novelise this you would have to somehow explain or edit out the Australia/USA timezone issue.

41. Skeltek on September 2, 2019 at 4:32 pm

Thanks for making this. I played Eve online many years ago. Its weird to see what happened afterwards.
    It pains me to see all the strategies being utilized which I told our alliance leaders would be great. From shieldboosting Towers over bomber squads up to covert Ops ships and much more, before any other alliance even thought of using the strategies. They thought my ideas and concepts were stupid and unapplicable. No wonder they all failed after I left the game, they were unwilling to adapt.

42. Similak Child on September 2, 2019 at 4:33 pm

Word has it that I’ve been docked at Jita 4-4 for a couple years now. If I left the station my ship would be destroyed.

43. SneiderMcCluck on September 2, 2019 at 4:34 pm

What is the EvE Online track name starting at 0:05 ? Can’t seem to find it, would really appreciate help.

44. trucker10201 on September 2, 2019 at 4:34 pm

i was in n3 at that time of the fountain war that was some of the most fun i ever had playing eve. still playing it to date

45. MisterChef117 on September 2, 2019 at 4:34 pm

My friend started the battle of asacai.

46. Ominethious Calistian on September 2, 2019 at 4:36 pm

Pappy Scott Manley tells some war stories of his youth as a veteran :v

47. kumoyuki on September 2, 2019 at 4:37 pm

EVEOnline is simply the best MMO, ever. It’s been years since I could afford the time to play, but it is immersive and intense. thanks for telling this story 🙂

48. itsmebatman on September 2, 2019 at 4:37 pm

This campaign was fun. I was in Razor at the time. I remember how hard it was to break through. But I also remember how much fun it was to jump through the region in dreadnoughts and besieging hundreds of structures. Or these stealthbomber fleets you mentioned. We did them mostly when we didn’t have the numbers to challange N3. Still it was lots of fun, because you always had something to do without there being absurd blobbing.
    The actual main battle was thrilling. But due to the lopsided nature and the time dilation it was not really the best battle of the war.

49. Morky on September 2, 2019 at 4:40 pm

The more I look in to Eve. The more i realize its just a super serious, space version of ark.

50. The Catacombs on September 2, 2019 at 4:42 pm

CCP is still completely fucking up the game. The only thing that has stayed the same all these years…