Things You Didn’t Know About Birth Control

Things You Didn’t Know About Birth Control

“Shout out to my Microgestin sisters!”

Subscribe to As/Is: https://bzfd.it/2QaN0dR

About As/Is:
Subscribe for daily videos & series about beauty, fashion, style, body positivity, women’s experiences and lifestyle, and to join a community of incredible women working to empower and inspire each other. We accept you, as is!

Connect with As/Is:
Like us on Facebook: http://facebook.com/UrGreatAsIs
Follow us on Instagram: @AsIs https://www.instagram.com/asis/
Follow us on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/asis
Check out our website: http://buzzfeed.com/asis
Buy our merch: https://goo.gl/2ny7st

Credits: https://www.buzzfeed.com/bfmp/videos/73304
MUSIC

Licensed via Audio Network
SFX Provided By AudioBlocks
(https://www.audioblocks.com)

STILLS
Emoji provided free by http://emojione.com
VIDEO
Footage provided by VideoBlocks
(http://vblocks.com/x/BuzzFeedYouTube)

1. A.B. on January 2, 2019 at 12:55 pm

The first 5 seconds is so true

2. Alice Argyle on January 2, 2019 at 12:59 pm

why wasnt there any questions about the best birth control… the implant. I’m recently on my second one now, havent had a period in over 3 years

3. Ineedas hower on January 2, 2019 at 12:59 pm

Dear lord fat people look like they can sit on me and die X_X

4. Hopping Houdini on January 2, 2019 at 1:00 pm

I’ve been off the depo for a year, I’ve been trying to get pregnant for couple months. I know it will take a while for my cycle to turn to normal .

5. Jessy 420 on January 2, 2019 at 1:01 pm

if you have your period for over a month at a time maybe u should go back on birth control to regulate u our cycle??? worked for me

6. Gia Bonilla on January 2, 2019 at 1:03 pm

I have to take the pill to help with acne and pain. It’s not really a choice.. it’s either that or be miserable

7. MadyG 11 on January 2, 2019 at 1:03 pm

Don’t be silly
    Wrap your willy

8. Aloe B on January 2, 2019 at 1:04 pm

I want to know WHO performed these studies and I need to see the reports. I’on believe half the truths. But I’m 😴

9. crookie moon on January 2, 2019 at 1:07 pm

Can someone in depth in lighten me on what exactly it is cause I thought it was for not getting pregnant but then it’s also for your periods so I’m just confused

10. Owen Hink on January 2, 2019 at 1:07 pm

Because of seeing how rude men are I became gay

11. Kyla Fuller on January 2, 2019 at 1:09 pm

My doctor swore there was no correlation between bc and depression but I didn’t hate life entirely until I got on it.

12. Heheheh Tere on January 2, 2019 at 1:11 pm

Don’t be fool wrap your tool

13. Khanysha C on January 2, 2019 at 1:11 pm

birth control can actually affect a woman’s fertility. that’s the reason why Gabrielle Union got a surrogate, because not only was she sterile because of the birth control but she couldn’t even carry her own baby. It’s worth noting that she was taking birth control for like 20 years though so that’s a fairly extreme case.

14. Holly Cardell on January 2, 2019 at 1:11 pm

My friend didn’t take her pill for 2 days and got pregnant 😂

15. Iyona Danyelle on January 2, 2019 at 1:11 pm

That might be why I have depression

16. erika on January 2, 2019 at 1:11 pm

I used the vaginal ring for a year and it was an OK option. I recommend trying it to those of you who don’t like taking pills. Now I’m not allowed to take hormonal birth control because of blood clots in my family so I’m considering getting the IUD when I’m sexually active again. Terrified of having even worse periods though.

17. Fangirl Smith on January 2, 2019 at 1:13 pm

I don’t see the implanon (a small rod that is put into your arm) being mentioned much in buzzfeed videos. Is it not a common birth control method in the US?

18. Mary Whipple on January 2, 2019 at 1:15 pm

Living for Jaz’s hair and makeup in this video

19. Ciao on January 2, 2019 at 1:18 pm

Is that a hickey btw?

20. Hakuna Matata on January 2, 2019 at 1:19 pm

I’m surprised no one mentioned blood clot risk

21. Kiara Himmelstein on January 2, 2019 at 1:21 pm

For those in long-term relationships that arent on birth control do you just wear condoms every time or practice pull-out method?

22. Presley Sears on January 2, 2019 at 1:23 pm

Idk about the fertility question. When I started getting the shot the doctors warned me of the possible outcomes, one of the them being infertility. The risk increases the longer you take it. Just what I was told at the health department.

23. Anna Allison on January 2, 2019 at 1:24 pm

WHY DO THEY CHANGE THE EXPLANATION ON THE SCREEN SO QUICKLY

24. lilmissanxious on January 2, 2019 at 1:25 pm

I need birth control for my painful periods due to endometriosis

25. Jordyn & Anja on January 2, 2019 at 1:25 pm

I started birth control at 13 for super heavy periods that usually lasted 16ish days and would come back a week later. I’m 20 now and was planning to keep taking them but my FREAKING gynecologist (now no longer my gynecologist) wouldn’t respond to me or the pharmacy asking for a refill so I stopped cold turkey and I fear my period could come any second. It’s been 3 weeks but I’m still so mad and scared. Anyways not important but I needed to rant.

26. Jennylynn20 on January 2, 2019 at 1:27 pm

Am I the only one that thinks Jazz looks yellow/orangish ???
    I love her she is beautiful but today looks like a high yellow hue with an orange tinge 🤔🤔

27. Oon-Hui Ng on January 2, 2019 at 1:28 pm

Just some FYI. There are many types of birth control, not just "the pill", and not all of these facts apply to all of the different types. Just a suggestion to do a bit of googling and research, and most importantly discuss the options with your doctor, to choose what best suits you and your lifestyle.

28. Vicki on January 2, 2019 at 1:28 pm

I take birth control b/c of my low estrogen levels due to cancer treatment I received when I was 12. Having had cancer makes me susceptible to other cancers in the future so hearing that the pills help prevent ovarian cancer makes me feel better when I take them b/c even at 19 and after every thing I’ve been through I can’t stand taking pills.

29. MonsterSuchti on January 2, 2019 at 1:28 pm

in my opinion birth control is super scary. tricking your body into thinking you’re pregnant by taking artificial hormones month after month can’t be too healthy. in addition, those hormones are difficult to remove from sewage and cause all sorts of health problems to fish. anyways, i’m not a doctor and the idea of getting pregnant terrifies me just as much as taking the pill. i guess staying abstinent is my way to deal with it for now. 😀

30. Mayra Mendoza on January 2, 2019 at 1:29 pm

I learned more then I did in health class and this is super important!!!!

31. Owen Hink on January 2, 2019 at 1:31 pm

Oh my God I didn’t know this things Buzz Feed is the best

32. ハンナHannah on January 2, 2019 at 1:31 pm

Wow I was not listening to the video for the last 3min . What was I staring at ?

33. Keilin cruz on January 2, 2019 at 1:32 pm

Where’s my Nexplanon peeps! 😭

34. Lindsay Seldal on January 2, 2019 at 1:33 pm

The BRCA gene specifically the BRCA 1 mutation causes breast cancer. Those with BRCA 1 and BRCA 2 mutation have a risk of pancreatic cancer and Ashkenazi Jewish descent have a higher change of having BRCA mutation so get tested!
    Edit: I did a project on this in AP bio and I’m majoring in biochem

35. TrishaxJordan on January 2, 2019 at 1:34 pm

In the state of Alabama at the age of 14 you have full rights to chose any type of birth control you want. So for number 2, depends on where you live. Between the age of 15 & now, I was on the pill, depo shot, patch, & finally the Skyla IUD.

36. Person 123 on January 2, 2019 at 1:34 pm

3:18 I SAY LIE 😂😂😂😂🤣🤣🤣

37. Jonathan Ngo on January 2, 2019 at 1:37 pm

But Jazzmyne is a giant lesbo… Why on earth would she ever need the pill?

But then again, butch lesbians exist (a walking contradiction)

38. qT Extract on January 2, 2019 at 1:37 pm

I got them all right

39. KappaPride on January 2, 2019 at 1:37 pm

Interesting indeed

40. Anthony Williams on January 2, 2019 at 1:41 pm

Previously I posted a couple of replies to some comments on this video, but because this is such an important and insufficiently discussed topic, I feel it necessary to post my own comment. In September of 2018, my 20 year old daughter passed away due to blood clots in her lungs that were triggered by her use of a combination hormonal birth birth control pill. She was an otherwise healthy college junior whose only prior illness was strep throat when she was four. At 7:57am she was laughing and joking but only 8 minutes later she collapsed in our driveway and went into cardiac arrest. She never recovered. Birth control effects each women differently because every woman’s body is completely different. Birth control is not like clean water. Most people won’t suffer any illnesses from drinking clean water. But the effects of birth control can be completely unpredictable. The women who have had no apparent or very minimal negative side effects from birth control generally praise it and will rave about it. But the women who have experienced it’s most devastating and catastrophic effect, death, obviously cannot speak but instead the people closest to them, their family and friends must speak for them. Understandably it is too painful for most family and friends to speak about losing a loved one to birth control. It is very difficult for me to do as well but as long as I have the strength to do it, I will continue to post, write, and speak about my daughter’s death. I do not want another family to experience this type of pain because deaths from birth control are absolutely unnecessary. They happen because young ladies are not being well informed. They happen because there is so much money that pharmaceutical companies and the medical community can make off of uninformed young women. Just a few more important points. 10,000 women each year will develop blood clots because of using birth control. That’s according to the Food and Drug Administration. According to http://www.birthcontrolsafety.org 1,000 women in the US die each year from blood clots caused by birth control use. Genetics can play a major role in how birth control effects a woman and remember that we receive genetic traits from both our parents. We believe my daughter had a genetic risk factor for clotting because members of her maternal family have had clots or have tested positive for clotting issues. After my daughter’s death, we had her sister’s blood tested for any clotting issues. They are by the way full siblings but my other daughter’s test revealed no clotting issues whatsoever. So one of my daughters inherited a clotting disposition from her mother and my other daughter probably inherited a non clotting disposition from me. Birth control decision are serious and even life or death decisions. Most medical providers and clinics will recommend combination birth control pills. The spin they give is that many of these pills prevent pregnancy, prevent weight gain, prevent acne, and with lesser mood swings. What they typically do not say is that these pills also come with an increased risk of developing blood clots. Please ladies inform yourselves. To learn more about birth control, don’t just Google “birth control” or “best birth control” or “birth control options”. Also Google “”birth control death” and “birth control lawsuit”. Please do not underestimate the seriousness of this issue. You can also visit http://www.naturalwomanhood.org to learn about safe, natural alternatives to hormonal contraceptives that are at least as effective as hormonal contraception at preventing birth control. No woman deserves to die or suffer from any serious irreversible illnesses just because they want to avoid getting pregnant. Women deserve better and they have a right to have better, safer options than unpredictable hormonal contraceptive products that the pharmaceutical industry and the medical community is constantly pushing in their faces.

41. Monet on January 2, 2019 at 1:42 pm

How do they not know what a BRCA mutation is??

42. Ella Ybarra on January 2, 2019 at 1:42 pm

everyone loves to talk about how bad birth control is but I have the implant and I haven’t had a period in two years and I’m not pregnant. everyone’s body is different stop discouraging people from taking it if they need/want it

43. KujoSutefanii on January 2, 2019 at 1:44 pm

And this is why I went for a non-hormonal iud after the birth of my daughter. I was way too tired of the annoying and horrible side effects.

44. abril lausi on January 2, 2019 at 1:45 pm

Please use birth control, ive been on it for 6 years, you dont get cramps you dont get pregnant and also you can avoid having a period

45. Alejandra Rosas on January 2, 2019 at 1:45 pm

I have been on birth control for 10 years now. I went on it to regulate my period. On January 14th 2019 I will be sterilized. It took me 4 1/2years to convince my gyno to do it. Now even tho I will be sterilized I will continue to take the pill to regulate my period I am 25. I have plenty of ppl in my life that have and or are having children, I have never wanted children. If I want a child I can borrow one.

46. Amaiah Rowan on January 2, 2019 at 1:47 pm

Do all birth controls stop your period

47. - - on January 2, 2019 at 1:47 pm

BC has given me phantom smells for years

48. Anime Is Life on January 2, 2019 at 1:50 pm

Schools do not know what they’re doing, teaching us pre calculus and geometry 😒

49. Alisha Daily on January 2, 2019 at 1:51 pm

This is a bit misleading since Buzzfeed got their data from a European journal (@1:18). Especially the question where they asked if you needing parental permission if under 18. You may not in Europe but in the US I believe you do.

50. Sharin?{*} Donuts:/ on January 2, 2019 at 1:53 pm

This video is soo lame LOL